For Malaysian, SMS emerged as the highest usage in 2005 as compared to other more advanced services such as 3G, mobile commerce and Voice-over-Internet-Protocol (VoIP).
- 84.9% of the users sent at least 1 SMS a day
- 49.6% sent out at least 5 SMS a day
Number of cellular phone subscriptions in Malaysia grew from 12.32 million in 2004 to 16.24 million for 2005.
Those under 20 - 13.1% of the users.
Typical cellphone user in Malaysia is
- a working adult
- Living in Selangor, Johor or Kuala Lumpur
- earning up to RM3,000 a month
- use prepaid phone account