Here are some interesting facts:
- 54.6 million websites are in US
- 15 million in Germany
- 6 million in UK
- 2.8 million in Canada
- 2.55 million in France
- 47 or 48 million of them are active websites.
- The number increase dramatically for the last 2 years thanks to blogging.
- The United States, Germany, China, South Korea and Japan show the greatest Web site growing spurts.
- When the Web was started in 1989, it was started as a mechanism for sharing high energy particle physics data.
- Web "explosion" took place when businesses realized they could use the Internet to make money.
- In both the business world and the social scene, a Web site is now an identifier almost as common as a phone number or an e-mail address.
For more resources on Internet History and evolution, click this link - Online Evolution